The Prep Room
While there are exceptions, most referees can’t run a game “off the cuff”; they need to prepare things in advance. The Prep Room is all about that advance preparation—from creating or kitbashing miniatures and dioramas to designing floor plans and deck plans to recipes for snacks for during play, or for a mid-session break to … well, whatever it is that you decide you need to do before your group gathers and you start pulling out character sheets and dumping bags of dice onto the table.
- Modifying Miniatures for Traveller (Robert DeVoe) When you can't find the right miniature, sometimes you can 'fix' one.
- Scratchable Game Maps (Michael Barry) Low-tech solutions for concealing information.
- Getting Started with Miniatures (Robert DeVoe) Some sources of miniatures, and some tips for getting started on painting them.
- Encyclopaedia Galactica (William Johnson) Collecting and organizing background info into an explorable universe.
- Designing Basic Careers for Classic Traveller (Jeff Zeitlin) Not just a grab-bag of skills
- Building an Adventure (Jeff Zeitlin) Adventures are more than tasks and dice rolls.
- Props (Timothy Collinson) A sampler/overview of adding verisimilitude through props.
- System Generation/Adaptation From ACCRETE (Ken Pick) Adapting systems built by a "realistic" program to Traveller
- Low-Prep Traveller Campaigns for Beginners (Daniel Stevens) "Just-in-time" development of a campaign area, giving top-down context.
- Science Fiction and Monocultures (Ed Ortiz) Defining and describing a culture
- Building a Culture (Jeff Zeitlin) From one sentence to a whole sourcebook
- An Improvised Classic Traveller Convention Game (Christopher Kubasik) A few index cards and a bit of imagination leads to a great game at a convention.
- Building Your Own Road: Alternatives to the Third Imperium (Cian Witheren) Quick Empires, for later detailing
- Bullet Journalling and Traveller (Timothy Collinson) Keeping a campaign diary
- At the Bar - Places to Interact (Timothy Collinson) Where does a teetotal non-lawyer go for patron meets and rumors?
- Web Search and Translation as Chargen Aids (Jeff Zeitlin) When you're at a loss for names, the web is only a few clicks away.
- Out of the Wind: Sealed Habitats (Timothy Collinson) The next place you stop may be Different...
(Jeff Zeitlin) Somewhat random notes on various aspects of culture-building
- #1: Naming Practices (Jeff Zeitlin) On the naming of names
- #2: Inheritance (Jeff Zeitlin) When you buy the farm, who gets it?
- #3: Kinship (Jeff Zeitlin) Beyond the family
- #4: Education (Jeff Zeitlin) A little learning is a thing
- #5: Sumptuary Laws and Customs (Jeff Zeitlin) What would they think if they saw you?
- #6: Calendars (Jeff Zeitlin) Let me count the days...
- #7: Writing Systems (Jeff Zeitlin) Even at low-tech, there are many ways to put pen to paper...
- #8: Language (Jeff Zeitlin) Talking about talking
- #9: Penalties for Transgression (Jeff Zeitlin) Doing the Time is only one way of paying for Doing the Crime