This web site is intended to be a resource where you can find information on all aspects of the Traveller science-fiction role-playing adventure system. We hope that you will find this site interesting and useful.
Download Freelance Traveller Magazine
You can download current and back issues of Freelance Traveller Magazine. The current issue's cover is shown to the left.
- Active Measures
- Adventures. There is one subsection, Getting Off The Ground, which contains adventure seeds in the standard "Adventure Seed" (scenario-plus-possible-solutions) format.
- Regular columns by regular columnists. Our current active column is Timothy Collinson's Confessions of a Newbie Referee, and past columns that you can still read include The Fifth Imperium, Shannon Appelcline's guide to refereeing Mongoose Traveller, and Essay Question, where our readers can share their thoughts on various aspects of Traveller.
- Critic's Corner
- Reviews of Traveller products, for our readers, by our readers. There are three subsections: LinkLooks, where reviews of Traveller-related websites may be found; Other People's Toys, where we carry reviews of non-Traveller gaming materials of interest to Traveller players; and Off The Table, reviewing fiction that the reviewer feels has a connection to Traveller.
- Doing It My Way
- "House rules", ruleset mixes, and modifications or extensions to rules. Any version of Traveller is fair game, whether currently in print or not. There are several subsections for different types of rules.
- In A Store Near You
- Goods that the player-characters might
encounter as available for purchase. Some may be truly useful in a campaign; others are for
"color". There are currently four subsections:
- The Gun Shop
- Personal weapons. Not all of these will necessarily fit the normal definition of "gun" (e.g., grenades), but all will be weapons that a single person can carry and use.
- Handle With Care
- Items of all sorts that may present a hazard to the unwary character.
- The Promenade
- Describes the shops that the players might purchase goods in. For campaign "color".
- The Showroom
- Vehicles of all types, all tech levels, for getting around when a spaceship or starship Just Won't Do.
- Information Center
- This section is for non-game support of Traveller - software listings (and some downloads), pointers to other websites, news about publishers, product listings, and so on.
- Articles here will be for "background color" to a campaign, to give
the setting depth. Has several subsections:
- Art and Entertainment
- Activities and entertainments that are often associated with "culture", whether performance art like dance or opera forms, or fine arts such as painting or sculpture.
- At Home, We Do It Like This
- Descriptions of interesting local customs and traditions.
- Games People Play
- Descriptions of games and sports of all types.
- The Club Room
- Describes organizations such as religions, clubs, and lodges. Also used for racial, cultural, and societal profiles, similar to the series of "Contact!" articles in the original printed Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society.
- Lecture Hall and Library
- "Color" articles written in a style that might fit well in an encyclopedia, collection of public or university lectures, or other scholarly compilation.
- The Lab Ship
- This section is for articles about real-world science, both established and "cutting edge", that may be of use for adding verisimilitude to a campaign universe. Not for reprints of commercially published articles; rather, authors should discuss the science and provide some ideas and/or outlines of rules for incorporating the science into a Traveller campaign.
- Less Dangerous Game
- This section is for articles about animals that might be encountered in a game.
- Multimedia Gallery
- Artwork created by Traveller fans. May include still pictures, movie clips, music, and anything else that can be made available through the World Wide Web.
- Other Roads
- Describe your Traveller universe as a setting. Emphasis should be on the differences from the standard setting, and should be at the game level, e.g., allowed technologies, political alignments, different star maps, and so on. Variant rules for play, however, should be submitted for Doing It My Way.
- Raconteur's Rest
- Traveller-based fiction. Can be pure storytelling, or "novelization" of an actual campaign. There is one subsection, Lost Diaries, where the stories are implied - and left unfinished - by a series of entries in a diary or log.
- The Shipyard
- Articles about starships and ship-related topics. Includes ship profiles, deck plans and pictures, and alternative technologies.
- Up Close and Personal
- Descriptions of individuals that could be encountered in a campaign, as patrons, opponents, contacts, rivals, allies, and so on.
Freelance Traveller is Fan-Supported
It says so at the top of every page: "The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller Resource". What that means is that the vast majority of our material is written by fans for fans. If you're a fan, you can be part of it! Our submission guidelines tell how to submit material to us; what material you submit is up to you!
You can Help Us
If you have any ideas on how to make Freelance Traveller better, tell us! While we don't guarantee that we will implement all suggestions, we do guarantee that every suggestion will be read and considered. Use our Feedback page, or mail directly to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Freelance Traveller sponsors a live chat room on the Undernet IRC network. This chat room is always open. More information can be found on our IRC Chat page.
Freelance Traveller is proud to be a member of
Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to The Traveller Downport for hosting services.
The Traveller game in all forms is owned by Far Future Enterprises. Copyright 1977-2018 Far Future Enterprises. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises. Far Future permits web sites and fanzines for this game, provided it contains this notice, that Far Future is notified, and subject to a withdrawal of permission on 90 days notice. The contents of this site are for personal, non-commercial use only. Any use of Far Future Enterprises's copyrighted material or trademarks anywhere on this web site and its files should not be viewed as a challenge to those copyrights or trademarks. In addition, any program/articles/file on this site cannot be republished or distributed without the consent of the author who contributed it.