Almost anyone that travels between worlds dreams of owning their own transportation. A lucky few (in comparison) can afford to do so. Shipyards are where those few make their dreams into reality.
The Freelance Traveller shipyard is where you can find descriptions and specifications (and eventually deck plans and interior pictures, we hope) for starships and spaceships for all sorts of missions. Ultimately, as we receive additional contributions (from you, our readers), all incarnations of Traveller will be supported.
Freelance Traveller is also proud to be able to offer, free for you to download, the BITS publication 101 Starships, Seventh Edition. This document, authored by Rob Prior, contains descriptions and design worksheets for a wide range of spaceships and starships suitable for use with GURPS Traveller. Freelance Traveller has, with permission, selected a number of designs from this collection to start off this section. Additional designs from 101 Starships may be added as time permits, but we encourage you to download the PDF document to enjoy the entire set immediately.
- Bargam class Tramp Trader (Rob Prior)
- Cardos class Fast Yacht (Rob Prior)
- Irbak class System Defense Boat (Rob Prior)
In addition to the designs from 101 Starships listed above, you can find more GURPS Traveller designs here at Freelance Traveller's shipyard.
The following designs don't appear to fit into any of our other classifications, or are supplied in for multiple rule sets:
- President-class Holiday Cruiser (Michael Gilliam)
- Chukkar-class Modular Merchant (John T. Kwon)
- Running Ox-class Merchant (Bruce Johnson)
- Pawel-class Modular Cutter (Ewan Quibell)
- Vagrant-class X-Boat Service Hull (Donovan Lambertus)
- Gas Giant Refueling/Refining Platform and Lighter (Scott Diamond)
- Naklaad-class Interface Merchant (Timothy Collinson)
- Repair Tugs (Joshua Levy)
- Medical Transport/Evacuation Shuttles (Edward Anderson)
- Carriers, Cruisers, and Cans
- Ken Pick has done a series of variant ship designs around his Beyond Book 2 rules extensions.
- Longsword, Kanin, and Krupny-class Destroyer Variants
- Venetian-class Escort Carrier
- Worcester and Mogami-class Cruisers and Variants
- Les Torpilleurs-class Missile Warship and SDB
- Grand Torpilleurs-class Heavy Torpedo Boat
- Essex and Independence-class Fighter Carriers and Variants
- Fram, Burke, and Foible-class Destroyers and Variants
Articles on ship-design-related topics:
- Deck Cargo: Using External Pods for Increasing Cargo Capacity (Ken Pick)
- The Lyman Drive: An Alternative to the Standard Jump Drive (Jeff Zeitlin)
- Missile Magazines for High Guard (Joseph Kimball)
- Plantier Shields: An Alternative to Black Globes (Ken Pick)
- What Is Tonnage? (Ken Pick)
- On the Naming of Ships (Ken Pick)
- Commercial Efficiency Analysis of Selected Starships (Ken Pick)
- Beyond Book 2: Expanding the Basic Classic Traveller Starship Design System (Ken Pick)
- Ship Structure and Hull Size Limitations (Christopher Thrash)
- A Starship Design Tutorial (Peter Gray)
- Densified Fuel Storage (Alex Goodwin)
- Building Bridges (Jared Noble)
- Drawing Deck Plans With Campaign Cartographer 2 Pro (Randy Tyler)
- Imperial Naval Doctrine (Kevin Walsh)
- Solomani Naval Doctrine (Kevin Walsh)
- Collapsible Fuel Tanks and Jump Drives "On Rails" (Joshua Levy)
The Ship's Locker - an eclectic collection of ... stuff.
The Starship Technical Manual (Terry Carlino)
101 Starships is in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format, and is 4305K to download. You will need Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. Acrobat Reader can be downloaded free from Adobe's web site, http://www.adobe.com.