This design was originally posted to the pre-magazine Freelance Traveller website in 2003, and reprinted in the July/August 2016 issue
Columbia-class CX-Y4428J4-A09900-099T9-6 MCr731,903.606 1MTon Bat Bear XW1W Crew: 9446 Bat ZY1Y TL: 15 Passengers: 30 Cargo: 5,985.500 Fuel: 480,000.000 EP: 80,000.000 Agility: 2 Shipboard Security Detail: 1000 Marines: 1500 Frozen Watch Craft: 150× 30T Fighter, 24× 95T Shuttle, 24× 95T Recce, 150× 20T Assault Craft, 6 30T Launch Tubes, 2 100T Launch Tubes Fuel Treatment: Fuel Scoops and On Board Fuel Purification Backups: 2×Model/9fib Computers 2×Bridges 2×Factor 9 Nuclear Dampers 2×Factor 9 Meson Screens Architects Fee: MCr7,319.036 Cost in Quantity: MCr585,522.885
The Columbia-class heavy battleship is intended to function not only as a capital ship in battle, but as a mobile base, and even alone to “show the flag”, a mission they serve far more often than combat.
The Columbia class can simultaneously fulfill six war-fighting requirements: flagship for embarked planetary assault squadron, flag or general officer staff; fighter carrier, with a 150+ craft complement including fighter/attack craft, reconnaissance craft, heavy lift shuttles, and other support craft; planetary assault launching platform, employing a variety of surface assault craft including the Navy’s newest Landing Craft Utility (LCU), and other planetary assault vehicles; hospital ship, equivalent to the finest planetary hospitals with 17 ICU beds, 4 operating rooms, 300 beds, a blood bank, full dental facilities, and orthopedics, trauma, general surgery, and x-ray capabilities; command and control (C4I) ship, with the Navy’s most sophisticated communications capability; and assault provisions carrier able to sustain embarked forces with fuel, ammunition, and other supplies.
The ship carries an expeditionary unit of Imperial Marines and their vehicles, as well as six squadrons of 25 fighters each. A small complement of support vessels is also aboard. There is additional cargo space of 5985 tons, with three 100 ton bays giving access to the main cargo bay.
The ship has six launch tubes for craft 30 tons and smaller, and two launch tubes for 100 ton craft.
- 1,000,000.000 td (14,000,000.000m3) Close Structure
- 626 Officers, 7170 Ratings, 150 Pilots, 1500 Marines
- Jump-4, 2G, Power plant-8, 80,000.000 EP, Agility 2
- 3×Bridge,3×Model/9fib Computer ( 2 each Backup)
- Spinal Mount, 803 100-dt bays, 1900 Hardpoints
- Meson Gun Spinal Mount (Factor-T), 400 100-dt Particle Accelerator Bays (Factor-9), 400 100-dt Missile Bays (Factor-9), 1900 Dual Fusion Gun Turrets (190 Batteries) (Factor-9)
- 3×Nuclear Damper (Factor-9), 3×Meson Screen (Factor-9) (2 each Backup), Armored Hull (Factor-10)
- 150 30-dt Fighters, 24 95-dt Shuttles, 24 95-dt Recces, 150 20-dt Assault Craft, 6 Launch Tubes for 30-dt craft, 2 Launch Tubes for 100-dt craft
- 480,000.000 dt Fuel (jump-4 and 28 days endurance), On Board Fuel Scoopsand Fuel Purification Plant
- 9,479 Staterooms, 4725 Low Berths, 10 Hi Passengers, 20 Mid Passengers, 5,985.500 Tons Cargo
- MCr739,222.642 Singly (inc. Arch. fee MCr 7,319.036), MCr585,522.885 in Quantity
- CONSTRUCTION TIME
- 240 Weeks Singly, 192 Weeks in Quantity